Monday, June 20, 2011

Centeroo supplies

Centeroo is Bonnaroo's village.  It's where all of the stages and tents are, the ferris wheel, the majority of vendors - food, clothing and art.  You're lucky (or paid for VIP) to have a campsite that's only a 10-15 minute walk to Centeroo, but then Centeroo itself can take 20 minutes to walk from one end to the other.  So once you're in, you're there for several hours, if not the whole day (or night).  It's wise to pack well.

Over the years, I've condensed my Centeroo pack down to the essentials.  First, I start with a hydration pack.  Mine came from Target and was super cheap.  But it's held up to three Bonnaroos (I used a string backpack my first year) and doesn't show signs of slowing down so I'm a fan.


I did have to replace the bladder and this year I went with one from Ospry.  And I loved it.  It has a stiff backing that made it easy to slide in and out of my pack and kept itself upright when filling.


Think my favorite part of this pack is the open mesh pocket.  Perfect for stuffing my ground cover and my bottle of sunscreen for easy access and roomy enough to add a hoodie for when it cools off at night.


In the above picture, you can also see how I would tie a bandana to each of the straps.  I would use one to mop my face (it's HOT!) and have the other for back-up.  I might use that one to cover my face (love it when it doesn't rain, but then it's crazy dusty) or as a napkin if I forgot to grab one (or there wasn't any available) or protect my scalp from the sun and shield my eyes when I didn't have my hat. 

no shame - the sun was brutal waiting for Grace Potter!

I also kept a third inside one of the pockets.  Multiple bandanas are always key.

My pack has a few small pockets, which I prefer to one large one.  This way I was able to sort my supplies and grab what I needed quickly and easily.  In the top pocket, I kept my sour mints and stick sunscreen.  Two concert necessities, as far as I'm concerned.  I don't even like sour candies, but when you're hot and sticky, they just make everything better.  And stick sunscreen stays on much better when you're constantly mopping your face.


Underneath there was another pocket and that's where I stowed my emergency poncho (opened because I had used it the day before when it sprinkled and threatened to pour between the Black Keys and Eminem), headlamp and toilet paper.  Since I went VIP, I never had to use the port-a-potties and our bathrooms were constantly cleaned and restocked, but these pictures were taken on Sunday and I had heard that in years past the bathrooms weren't as great on the last day (though they were still great this year).


Then in the lower pocket, I had that third bandana, my money pouch (zippered and then pinned to the inside of the pocket) and a plastic pouch with my schedule, a pad of paper, cell phone and camera - just in case it rained or I spilled a drink on myself.


I keep my antibacterial gel attached the outside for easy access, though since VIP bathrooms also had sinks with real soap, I didn't really have to use it this year.


I even had room for a folding fan, which was great when my battery-operated one died the first day.  Always have backups for your essentials.


All of this in a relatively small footprint!  Kept me light and limber and able to dance or squeeze under a tent for a show.

No comments: